By Isabel Matos
Laura Ingraham is not every Sarah Palin supporter’s favorite talk show host, but she has been a steady and effective activist against Amnesty. She helped Dave Brat to victory in Virginia. She has been an outspoken critic of Renee Ellmers, exposing her stance on amnesty during a contentious radio interview, and she is now helping Joe Carr in his race against Lamar Alexander, a Rino incumbent nemesis. Her endorsement of Carr has already helped him surge in the polls.
Laura was on Bill O’Reilly last month. This is what she said she’d do about the border crisis and illegal immigration in general (in case you missed it). Many people I know who know her track record with Palin have had to agree these are common sense solutions to a problem the politicians are just wanting to ignore.
- Deportation OK, first thing you do is start deporting people — not by the hundreds, not by the dozens. By the thousands. And that means entire families. Not just a father, a mother. But we keep families unified by deporting all people who are are here illegally, that’s number one.
- Number two, we have to stop visas and stop foreign aid to countries who will not repatriate the citizens of those countries that left and came to our country illegally. We’re seeing this with Guatemala, [El] Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras, some of the South American countries. If they don’t agree to repatriate their citizens back home and stop sending signals, implicitly, explicitly, that people should come here, then they get no foreign aid, we stop all visas from those countries coming in. This is a crisis, and we have to deal with it in a serious way.
- Number three, I think there has to be an end to this thing called birthright citizenship. Some people call it anchor babies. But this is not required by our Constitution, it doesn’t require a constitutional amendment. Harry Reid was for this about 15, 16 years ago. He went on the Senate floor and proclaimed that we should end birthright citizenship. So, that should go.
- Having severe civil penalties against employers We should also have severe penalties in place that are enforced, Bill, against employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants and undercut the American worker and the legal immigrants who want to earn a decent wage. Severe civil penalties. If they have to be criminal penalties for successive violations, we have to do that.
- Building a wall or fence in places along the border I think Krauthammer is right, we need a wall and/or a fence in the places along the border that that is practical. We have to absolutely have that in place. That is practical and enforcing the border with the national guards, and filing lawsuits against states that do not enforce the border.
- Taking magnets away such as welfare for households, food stamps, disability, bank accounts and housing should not be allowed. I think no welfare for households that house illegal aliens. That’s a big magnet. Food stamps, disability, obviously the concern about Obamacare, that’s critical. We also have to make sure that bank accounts, housing, people who can rent houses — if you’re in the country illegally, why are you allowed to enter into a rental agreement — to live in this country? That should not be allowed. So, there are a lot of common sense steps that we can take that both take the magnet away, we enforce the border, as you said, with the National Guard, we work with border states at a federal level. And we don’t file lawsuits against the border states when they actually want to enforce the border.
O’Reilly: argued that mass deportations would make the Republican Party obsolete, that it would ensure Hillary Clinton’s election in 2016. He said that was Rove’s argument and called these measures draconian. He also said 67% of Americans want some kind of pathway. Ingraham pointed out the GOPe is buying the left’s argument and that Karl Rove has made electoral mistakes in the last few elections. O’Reilly insisted it could be done without destroying the party.
Laura: The Republican Party has done a good job of destroying itself.